Refresh your About page
For most businesses, your About page is the most visited page on your entire website. And yet, most companies struggle to put something interesting and engaging there. Be honest: does your About page kind of suck?
A bad About page is a huge missed opportunity; even a “just okay” About page is losing you money & new customers.
Luckily, fixing it is easier than you think. Even if you’re feeling blocked or uninspired, here are a few easy ways to jazz it up:
– Make it easy to find. This is one of the quickest and easiest ways to add instant value to your About page. First, make sure your About is actually called “About”; that’s what people are looking for, so don’t hide it in another title like “Who We Are” or “The Journey”. Second, make sure it’s easy to see in your homepage navigation (don’t hide it in a hamburger menu).
– Add your company contact information. It’s a simple thing to do that will make customers who are in a hurry (and those who want to get in touch because they you sold them with your product & About page) smile because they don’t have to dig around looking for a separate Contact page to get the ball rolling.
– Add images. People like looking at faces, and will connect more personally with your brand if they can see your (or even some stock image models’) faces. You can find stock images cheap on sites like Stocksy, if you don’t have professional photos of your team or office that you love yet.
– Tell a story. People also love stories, and they’ll stick around for one, even if it’s not terribly thrilling. Start your About page by telling a customer story, talking about the pivotal moment that convinced you to found the business, or anything! A narrative grabs a new visitor and draws them into caring about your brand.
– Start by talking about your customer, not yourselves. Of course you want to share your awesome creds, but first, give the reader some context that has to do with them first. They’ll care more if they see how YOU fit into THEIR life, and not the other way around.
Check out this post for even more quick tips for leveraging this super important part of your website.